Sunday, March 25, 2012

The art of Hula Hooping. Collection #7

I'm not sure if this could be considered an actual collection but the art of Hula Hooping is fascinating to me. I discovered it this summer when I went to my first festival, Camp Bisco. I met this girl that amazed me and I bought a hoop shortly after that. The heavier hoops are for beginners and when you get better you move to a thinner hoop but still with some weight to it to dance with. The designs on the hoops are pretty artistic themselves, I do plan on making some this summer also.
Hooping came to Britain around 1300 using homemade hoops. In the 1800s british sailors witnessed hula dancing in the Hawaiian Islands, and as this looked similar to hooping, the name "hula hoop" originated.

I found a couple videos of hooping online, these were my favorite and inspiring to me. This first one is Lisa Lotti, I'm not sure of the location, she uses up to 8 hoops at a time! 
 The next video is of the girl who inspired me to start hooping, her name is Arielle Cravatta I met her at camp and was amazed! she's also one of the sweetest girls I've ever met. =]

At the end of Camp, on the last morning I saw this girl with a fire hoop and I was so amazed! I hope one day I get good enough to get one. This isn't the chick from Bisco but she's pretty good too.
Hoops come in all sizes and patterns, they're fire hoops and collapsible hoops for easy transportation, also they're L.E.D hoops with lights in them. You can usually find hoopers at festivals, concerts and Raves.


Hoops have been around for thousands of years but usually we would think of a hoop as a child's toy, now it seems to have become a great art form. I love it because hooping becomes a type of meditation as well as exercise that helps one become centered, with only, you, your hoop and the music <3

No comments:

Post a Comment