Thursday, March 29, 2012

PUNK Magazine Collection # 8

So I LOVE the Punk scene! I had my phase of being in that scene though it is behind me I still have this obsession I guess, with the way Punk use to be when it came out in the 70's. The bands were definitely a big part of it but it was more the image, the art of it all. The Punk life style is what interested me the most, how it was free and rebellious. In one of my Punk history books; "Punk: The Whole Story", I came across a section about the magazine, it's creators and artists.
The magazine was originally suppose to be a rock n' roll comic book,explains editor and writer John Holmstrom. The magazine, published in New York between 1976-1979 sparked the punk "fanzine" crazyness.
The first issue had Lou Reed on the cover. January 1976- Illustration by John Holmstrom




Issue 8: The Sex Pistols, March 1977. This cover was done by a guy called Steve Taylor. Holmstrom states: "Instead of drawing with a pen, he'd use an ink dropper or a broken quill and scribble withe that and get ink everywhere, he didn't want firm control over the ink."



Issue 10: Blondie. Cover art done by: Bobby London



Issue 3 April, 1976, Joey Ramone. Cover by: John Holmstrom



There many more issues of PUNK though the magazine declined in 1979, there were anniversary additions. Here is a couple of websites I came across on my search for the pictures of the magazine.
http://www.punkmagazine.com/vault/vault-main.html

http://www.98bowery.com/punkyears/punk-art-catalogue-section-two.php

There is also a lot to be said about the image of punk, the way they dress, their life style and music set them in a scene of rebelling against society and their ideals. Much opposite of the hippie culture witch came just years before it. Punks believed in Anarchy and creating a imagine to shock the public. These are a few photos I came across that have a certain poetic feel to the whole scene, it is, I think, art in itself. Punk came out of London in the 1970s and spread to New York city in underground clubs such as CBGB and Max's.




The Sex Pistols



The Ramones



Punk Romeo And Juliet. Sid and Nancy



Random Punks from the 70's



Patti Smith, Poetic genius
 I feel there is something artistic about Punk all together, there's a certain poetic undertone about it all that I just love. I always say I was born in the wrong era.



No comments:

Post a Comment